Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stylistically challenged....

I'm not even sure if "stylistically" is a word, but you get the idea.  And I sort of have a sense of humor about my dilemma.  However...

I am challenged.  C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E-D, I tell you.

For 6 years, I have been wearing yoga pants and tennis shoes or flip flops.  I've been content.  I've worn them because that's almost all I own.  And I've been happy that way.  They are comfy.  They stretch.  They fit me on skinny days...and not skinny days. 

Now, due to my going back to work, I have to actually buy real clothes.  Like shoes that grown-ups wear.  Every single day.

So I go into stores...and stare.  And walk around aimlessly...and stare some more. 
There are reasons for this malfunction:
(1)  All I've needed to function in my daily life for 6 years are...you guessed it.....yoga pants.
(2)  I haven't spent money on clothes in 6 years....due to our desire to get out of debt.  I have not shopped.  Period.

I realized very quickly....I'm no longer hip.  I never thought I be that.  Un-hip.

So, now I'm pretending to know what I'm doing clothes-wise...but I don't.  I'm trying to get educated, so as to not stay un-hip.  I'll let you know how it's going. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another way I know I am stylistically challenged is this:
I decided that before I start working full time, I will finish up all those little nagging unfinished home projects that take up space in our garage and zap me of much emotional energy.

Here's my dilemma:

See, I love this look:
It's fresh and clean.


















And this look:
It's simple and cozy.
















And this look:


















As you can see, I'm like the "Sybil" of design.  I like all of them. 

I especially like this:



















Lately I've been painting everything that isn't nailed down.....and I've been painting it black.  Yep.  Because that's the color paint I have.  And black goes with everything, right?  Right...???? 

I AM CHALLENGED, I TELL YOU.  I am confused as to which "look" I want...and how to make my house have that look with limited funds. I'm concerned I don't have the eye

I love the light and airy look of whites.  But I live in a testosterone-filled home...is that practical for this time in our lives?  And I'm married to a man that would love to live in a lodge in Colorado...or Pioneer Woman's guest lodge.  So, I'm trying to merge all those styles. 

I guess I'll have to create my own style

Where is this girl when you need her?  Or this one?  Why can't she be my neighbor?  Or these girls, my best friends?

I persevere.  I will move forward and just do what feels right in our home.  If the black is too dark somewhere, then I'll move it...or paint it again.  God help me.....

Tomorrow I'll invite you in to our home.  I'll show you where I feel challenged. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lastly, look at the beauty that the Lord gave us last week...in TEXAS!  Amazing. 
After I finished my two minutes of grumbling that the boys would be home with me since the schools were closed...and my to-do list was a mile long, I then reveled in it.  And enjoyed the wonderment of it with my two little guys.  We had a ball! 


"Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow..."  Isa. 1:18

4 comments:

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

You are SO stinkin' funny!! It appears...like most of us you are feeling very challenged!

So...when do you start your job?

Kathryn said...

Kim~

You crack me up! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only challenged one.

I don't have an actual job...yet. I'm still in the interviewing/"we'll call you"/waiting ever-so-impatiently stage.

I'll let you know when the Lord plants me somewhere.

Blessings~

Stacey said...

Kathryn-

I too have been home for 6 years and oh my how the wardrobe has changed! I can't imagine wearing 'real' shoes all day. My feet are so used to flip flops and tennis shoes! How did I do it all those years ago?

I go through those stages of where I paint anything I can get my hands on. Black has been a recent favorite as well!

Unknown said...

HOw funny- After staying home with the baby, who is now 9 months, I quickly became un-hip- I got my hair done yesterday and my older kids barely recognized me!! It was time!!!
Visiting from Texas Blogging Gals! Love your blog! Please visit me for a fun giveaway!

~Becca