Friday, October 16, 2009

Like grandma used to make it!

Oh, I wish you could've joined me today.  It was one of those dreamy times in the kitchen.

The weather was amazing today....a beautiful, crisp breeze, with lots of sun.  We had all the windows open.  I could hear the boys outside playing in the backyard, while listening to all my favorite praise songs playing inside.  My pumpkin spice candle was lit, and the scent was filling the kitchen. 

And to top it all off....

I made my husband's favorite dessert of all time:  carrot cake.
I used his grandmother's recipe, of course.  He has great memories of her serving him pieces of her carrot cake.  She hand wrote the recipe for me on a card many years ago, before she went to be with the Lord.  I'm so thankful I have that from her, in her writing.

There is nothing like "Momma Doc's" carrot cake.  It's nothing fancy.  Only the good old fashioned basics...made with a lot of love.  And let me testify....it's YUMMY!



No comments about my portion size, please.  Carrot cake is a veggie, right?!


Grandma's Carrot Cake


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups sugar

Beat together:
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil (add slowly)

Add dry ingredients to the oil/eggs alternatively with:
2 cups raw grated carrots

Add 1 tsp. vanilla.

Prepare two 9" cake pans. 
Bake for 25-30 mins. or until toothpick comes out clean.

Icing:
1 large package of cream cheese
1 stick butter~softened
1 box confectioners sugar (1 lb.)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup nuts, finely chopped

Take, eat, ENJOY!

I'm happy to post this at To Everything a Season.  Hop over there and check out lots of great dessert ideas. 

4 comments:

Every Day Blessings said...

Looks delicious! I agree its a vegetable.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, that looks lovely. Can you send me a piece?

Every Day Blessings said...

ok my still is stressed this week. We are making a BIG decision in the next two weeks and then maybe I can relax. I am praying for God's will but know that His will is sometimes not Debbie's will and I know that sometimes His will is BETTER than Debbie can imagine. I will share with you when I can but for now, pray.
I am sorry but that is all i can say.Blessings to you.

Libby@CookingWithLibby said...

Yummo!! What a great looking cake!