Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Whole Wheat Tortillas...and laundry soap

What do these two have in common, you ask? Absolutely nothing. Except for the fact that I made both from scratch today.

If you're as interested in frugality as I am, you may like to know how to make these.
If you're interested in products with nothing strange added to the ingredients listing, you may also be interested in how to make these.
If you couldn't care less about either of those things, you may want to close this blog for today.

The tortillas are really good! As good as any whole wheat tortillas you can buy in a store...and so easy.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 T olive oil (Extra virgin would probably be best...but I always use up what I have on hand)
1/2 cup warm tap water
(I double all of this...I like BIG tortillas)

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add olive oil and stir until well combined. Put in warm tap water one tablespoon at a time, until dough can be gathered into a ball. (Add more water, if needed, one tablespoon at a time.) Knead on floured surface 15 - 20 times. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.

Divide dough into 10 -12 equal portions and shape into balls.



On floured surface, roll out each ball from the center into a circle.
Notice my great-grandmother's glass rolling pin. I absolutely love it!

Cook on an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat on each side about 30 seconds, or until puffy. You can cook them longer, until they are crispy, if you'd like.

Ta da!!! A plate of whole wheat tortillas!

You can use for anything you would use tortillas for. They roll up nicely, for fajitas or tacos. Today I stuffed them with beef fajita meat and whatever else we had on hand. Tomorrow I will use them for quesadillas.


Laundry Soap
Ingredients:
6 cups water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
4 cups hot water
1/4 cup Dawn
1/2 cup Febreeze

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan, with 6 cups water, and heat on low until dissolved.
Does anybody know what that pink line is in my picture??

Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened and remove from heat. Add 4 cups hot water to a 2-gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and mix well.
Again, what is the pink in the picture?? I promise the detergent isn't nuclear.
Fill bucket with hot water. Add Dawn (to cut grease) and Febreeze (for odor-prevention), and mix well.
Set aside until mixture thickens.
Then I pour mine in these to store above my washer.

The recipe calls to use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.
I use one cup. But even still, it lasts a long time.
And the total cost for all those ingredients was less than $10.
Let me know if you try either of these and what you think!

1 comment:

AmandaTheArtist said...

The pink is a photographic side-effect known as chromatic abberation, or lens abberation. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration :)