Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lessons from Facebook

I thought I was really hip when I signed up for Facebook. I had been to my 20-year high school reunion and was convinced by some that I needed to. I really don’t have time to “do” Facebook, but succumbed to pressure anyway. Now…Twitter??? I am so not hip. I don’t even know what that is. Maybe one day I’ll be cool.

Anyway, I enjoy some things about Facebook. I really don’t use it enough to understand the ins and outs of it, but I like peering into the lives of others. Maybe it’s the nosy side of me.

But there is a downside. Once I look into the lives of others (namely through their pictures), sometimes I feel inadequate or that their lives are much more “together” than my own.

I just reconnected with a friend from about 8 years ago. I am so delighted to see that she is doing well. Really well. From all appearances, she is living a “Ken and Barbie” life. She’s beautiful, trendy and has a gorgeous “mini-Barbie” daughter.

Then I have another delightful friend from high school…who I deeply love, by the way. From all appearances, she is doing fabulously. She has a gorgeous, large home; friends by the handful; she’s gorgeous…and seriously doesn’t look ANY different than she did in 1988! She’s got 5 beautiful and active children and a sweet husband who is delightful to look at.

OK, seriously?! I’m starting to think there is nothing like Facebook to make you feel not-so-good-about yourself. Or is it just me? Am I that easily swayed into comparing my life with others?

I turn 40 this year. Thank God. As unsure of who I am at almost 40 sometimes….I was even more uncertain at 30. Turning older is truly a good thing. I just want the confidence to do it gracefully!

So anyway, at almost 40, I am just NOW able to discern between lies and truth.

Lie: Other people have better lives.
Truth: Other people have different lives.

Lie: Other people have no problems.
Truth: We all have problems.

Lie: These girls look better at their age now than they did “back then”.
Truth: They’ve had work done.
TOTALLY KIDDING. … They just look beautiful!

Lie: God has blessed them more.
Truth: God has blessed us all. My blessings may just look different.

I could go on and on, but what I know for sure is this:

(1) GOD’s Truth is that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps. 149:14), as are my sweet friends.
(2) Anything I have is because God has given it (Job 1:21b). As is true for them.
(3) I am right where God wants me to be, because he is sovereign. They are where God has them in their lives as well.
(4) Appearances and truth may not always match up completely, so I am to always keep my eyes heavenward….not on everyone else’s blessings…or business.

So as I Facebook or Tweet or whatever the next newest cool thing is (because of course I want to be cool at 40!)….
I choose to cling to this verse:

Teach me YOUR way, O Lord,
and I will walk in YOUR truth;
give me an UNDIVIDED heart,
that I may fear YOUR name.
Ps. 86:11

It's nice to be back with you. I feel more refreshed. Thank you.

No comments: