Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pancakes....and voices

We are a pancake-eatin' family. We love them! So we're constantly trying out new recipes. My new favorite is a Whole Wheat Pancake recipe, courtesy of Crystal at Money Saving Mom. (The picture is Crystal's, too.)

We covered our pancakes this morning with strawberries, powdered sugar and maple syrup! They were utterly delish!

But it was during this yummy breakfast that yet again, God taught me about Himself.

My boys...precious as they may be, ARE, in fact, 4 and 2. As with any 4 and 2-year-olds, they say the word "Mommy!" a lot. A-L-O-T!

They also ask an abundance of questions. Many times the exact same question I gave them an answer to only 3 short minutes ago. Those of you who are Moms know exactly what I'm talking about!

Their voices are super cute. Tiny little voices I KNOW I'll miss down the line. But for now, sometimes it's like listening to long, sharp nails on a chalkboard. Merely the repetitiveness of it is too much for my nerves at times.

As I played the 101 question game this morning while preparing pancakes, I thought..."Does God ever feel this way about me? Do I just ask him the same old questions over and over and over again? Do I even stop and listen to his answers?"

And then I thought, (shriek) "Does he get irritated with me, too?"

That gentle voice somewhere inside reminded me....no...God loves to hear from me. I'm his child. I'm so grateful he never tires of hearing my voice or gets irritated by my questions. He is always gentle and patient. However, I'm certain he DOES want me to listen, just as I desire my own children to listen to instruction.

And then it dawned on me....my boys CONSTANTLY call my name because they want me to converse with them. They WANT me to be in relationship with them. They know my voice. It's comfort and reassurance to them. My voice tells them how much they are loved and cherished. My voice is safe.

What if we never spoke? We wouldn't know each other's voices! How tragic would that be.

In the same way, God desires relationship with me...and I desparately want (and need!) relationship with him. I'm glad we talk often, so I know his voice.

So, I sat...smiled...ate pancakes with my boys...and listened to the incessant talking and questioning. And adored it.

Whole Wheat Pancakes

3 cups whole-wheat flour (or a combination of whole-wheat/white)
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 beaten eggs
3 cups milk (you can use buttermilk or sour milk)
6 Tablespoons oil

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir together just until moistened. Add additional milk to thin batter, if necessary.

Cook on a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Makes approximately 20 standard-sized pancakes.

(Thanks, Crystal!)


No comments: