Wednesday, June 3, 2009

In the crazy kitchen

I wanted to share with you a great new recipe I tried.

...while cooking with Iron Man and Super Why flying (literally with arms stretched out and mouths making flying sounds) around me and through my kitchen, rescuing animals in distress. (If you are at all familiar with any kid's things, then you can observe that my kids have combined a SuperFriend character, a PBS cartoon character and Diego, all in one pretend world.)

Sorry...I just had to set the scene for you.

Back to the recipe now.

They are homemade pizza pockets. I made these today. I have two words for you...YUM-EE.
These are tasty!

Homemade Pizza Pockets

Crust:

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp. sea salt

1 cup melted butter

1 cup plain non-fat (or low-fat) yogurt

Stir ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.

Pizza Sauce:

1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I was out of this...and used garlic salt)

1 1/2 tsp. oregano

1 1/2 tsp. basil (I was out of this, too...and used parsley)

Stir together and simmer for a few minutes.

Additional pocket fillings you can add:

Grated cheese (I used mozzarella)

Cooked hamburger

Pepperoni

Olives

Peppers

Mushrooms

To form a pizza pocket:

Roll a small ball of dough into a circle. Place one tablespoon of pizza sauce in the center. Put in a small amount of your choice of toppings. Fold the dough in half. Use a fork to pinch the edges together. Lay pizza pockets on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for about one hour. Pop them off the cookie sheet and put them into a freezer bag and put back into the freezer.

Bake your pizza pockets:

For frozen pizzas, bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. If the pocket is thawed first, bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. (Thanks, Laura, for the recipe.)

These will be fabulous to have on hand for quick lunches or snacks. Hope you get the chance to try them!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

These sound wonderful! I'll bet my family will love them. Printing out, now :)