Monday, May 18, 2009

Homemade Buttermilk

I had heard about ways to make homemade buttermilk, but wasn't sure if they would work. They DO! It's so awesome.

I know...buttermilk isn't an expensive product. But I always have it on hand to use in my baking, so if there was a way to not ever have to purchase it again, then I wanted to find it!

I took a quart mason jar and poured about 1/2 cup buttermilk in it. Then I bought some goat's milk (but you can use ANY milk) and filled the rest of the jar with it. I set it out on the counter for 12 hours.

When I opened the jar 12 hours later, I was afraid it would smell sour, but it didn't, it smelled like buttermilk! It worked!

Then, when that jar was almost empty, I took the last 2 inches of buttermilk in my mason jar, poured it into a NEW mason jar, filled it the rest of the way with 2% milk, and did the process again.

Wa-la...free buttermilk!

It doesn't take much to excite me.....

No comments: